No Matter What Route You Choose, You’ll Start With Our Online Application System.
Enrolling in an undergraduate program
All undergraduate programs have continuous enrolment – you can start registering for courses as soon as you finish your application. Many undergraduate programs are open admission, but some do have specific entry requirements. Visit our programs page to find out what’s needed for your program of interest.
AU is a part of the ApplyAlberta system. When you apply to an AU program, you’ll start and finish your application with us. In between, you’ll use ApplyAlberta – no matter what country or Canadian province you are from – to enter your personal and academic information and send us any required documents you may have. Want to know more?
First to get started:
- Choose your program . Be sure to note the number of years (if applicable) and your major – you’ll need this detailed information for step 3 below.
- If you have previous post-secondary education or significant work or life experience that could be assessed for credit, explore your options for transfer and advanced credit .
You are now ready to become an AU student and receive an AU student ID number, and apply to an undergraduate program.
- Fill out the Undergraduate General Application and select the “Yes, I am applying to a specific program.” option.
2. Continue to the ApplyAlberta site. Learn more about the ApplyAlberta application process .
3. ApplyAlberta will return you to the AU site. Complete the rest of the application.
4. Pay the one-time general application fee and the evaluation fee (if applicable). Be sure to have your official transcripts sent to AU if ApplyAlberta was unable to forward them automatically.
5. Write down your AU student ID number at the end of the application process. Your ID number will also appear on your printed or e-mailed receipt if you choose one of those options.
6. Be sure to have your official transcripts sent directly to AU, if ApplyAlberta was unable to forward them automatically. Also, arrange to submit any other required supporting documents, that pertain to your application, to the Office of the Registrar.
7. For the next steps review the section Register for courses – Program students
Taking undergraduate courses as a non-program student
Whether you need a course to transfer to a program elsewhere, for professional development, or just for fun, you can do it as a non-program student at Athabasca University.
Non-program (or unclassified) students are those who want to take courses without registering in a degree, diploma or certificate program. If you later decide to enter an AU program, you can apply credits earned now toward your future program (if the credits fit that program’s requirements).
How to enroll as a non-program student:
- Fill out the Undergraduate General Application, and choose to enrol as a non-program student.
- Pay the one-time general application fee.
- Write down your AU student ID number at the end of the application process. Your ID number will also appear on your printed or e-mailed receipt if you choose one of those options.
- You are now ready to start registering for AU Undergraduate Course as a Non-Program Student
Apply as a non-program student
Undergraduate students enrolled at another school
Already taking a degree program from another school? You are welcome to register for individual courses as a visiting student at AU!
Keep in mind that you can’t start a full AU degree until you’ve completed or withdrawn from your other program.
- Learn more about transferring credit to other institutions.