College of Central Florida
About College of Central Florida
The College of Central Florida (CF) is a public college with campuses in Marion, Citrus, and Levy counties. It is part of the Florida College System. Founded in 1957 as Central Florida Junior College, CF has grown to span three counties and include the Appleton Museum of Art and Vintage Farm.
The college is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, Associate in Arts, and Associate in Science degrees as well as certificates. The college started offering bachelor degree programs in Business and Organizational Management in 2010, followed by Early Childhood Education in 2011, and Nursing in 2014.
College of Central Florida was established in 1957 under the name Central Florida Junior College, serving Citrus, Levy and Marion counties in Florida. In 1958, instruction began, with only 320 students using temporary facilities at the Marion County Vocational School.
In 1966, the school merged with Hampton Junior College.
Hampton Junior College was originally opened in 1958 as well, as one of the first black, two-year colleges in the state. In 1971, the school changed its name to Central Florida Community College. On May 25, 2010, CFCC officially changed its name to College of Central Florida.
The Ocala campus was originally established on 60 acres (24 ha) of land donated by Atlantic Realty and Investment Company and the city of Ocala. It has since grown to 140 acres (57 ha).
In 1996, a free-standing campus opened on 88 acres (36 ha) in Lecanto. Over time, an additional 10 acres (4.0 ha) were added to the Citrus campus, and the Citrus Learning and Conference Center opened in fall 2009.
The Jack Wilkinson Levy Campus opened in fall 2017, replacing the Levy Center located in Chiefland.
CF’s Hampton Center, which offers health occupation courses and community outreach programs, opened in 1996 on the site of the former Florida State Fire College in West Ocala. In 2004, the facility was completely rebuilt.
The college maintained a partnership interest in the Appleton Museum of Art for more than a decade before accepting full responsibility for operations in 2004.