OPSU is pleased to offer the Bachelor of Music degree, which allows students to prepare for careers as performers, teachers or professionals. All music students should consider the options below, which have many similarities, but prepare students for different career goals.
Unlike other baccalaureate degrees, it is crucial that music majors begin work on coursework within the major immediately upon beginning their time at OPSU if they wish to complete their degree within four years. Most degree plans involve eight semesters of coursework that must be taken in sequence, as well as eight semesters of private study on a major instrument or voice and eight semesters of ensemble experience, so it is very difficult to compress the requirements for the major into less than four years. It is crucial that a prospective music major meet with the music faculty before beginning coursework at OPSU!
The first semester of music study for all options typically includes:
|Music Theory I:
|Music Theory I (Lab):
|Freshman English I
|Student Success Seminar
All BM options require:
- Completion of the OPSU General Education Curriculum
- Core studies in music theory and music history
- Four semesters of private instruction at the lower division level on a major instrument or voice, followed by a successful Performance Barrier
- Four semesters of private instruction at the upper division level on the same major instrument or voice.
- A demonstration of basic piano proficiency, gained either prior to arrival or through elective coursework.
- Successful completion of the Music Theory Barrier Examination, usually after the sophomore year of study.
- Eight semesters of performance in a major ensemble (Concert Band or Concert Choir).
- All music courses must be passed with a grade of “C” or better.
Bachelor of Music Options: For full details, visit the current OPSU General Catalog.
- BM-General Music:A degree that allows a student to explore other areas of the liberal arts and humanities in addition to music in preparation for a career outside music or professional school.
- BM-Vocal Performance:A degree focusing on the development of the singing voice to allow the student to continue to graduate studies or a career in vocal performance.
- BM-Instrumental Performance:A degree focusing on the development of instrumental technique on a major woodwind, brass or string instrument or percussion to allow the student to continue to graduate studies or a career in instrumental performance.
- BM-Piano Performance:A degree focusing on the development of technique on piano to allow the student to continue to graduate studies or a career in piano performance or pedagogy.
- BM-Music Pedagogy:A degree focusing on the development of general musical ability alongside a major instrument or voice with the goal of continuing on to graduate study or a career in private music instruction.
- BM-Composition:A degree focusing on the development of the ability to write and arrange original music for the student interested in pursuing a career or graduate studies in composition or music theory.
- BM-Music Education:A degree that is the only program in Oklahoma that results in certification to teach both instrumental and vocal music in the public schools for the student who plans to have a career as a public school music teacher in band, choir or general music.
A student may minor in either Music Performance or Music Studies by completing the appropriate requirements as detailed in the current OPSU General Catalog.