The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff (UAPB) is a public historically black university in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. Founded in 1873, it is the second oldest public college or university in the state of Arkansas. UAPB is part of the University of Arkansas System and Thurgood Marshall College Fund.
The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff was authorized in 1873 by the Reconstruction-era legislature as the Branch Normal College and opened in 1875 with Joseph Carter Corbin as principal.
A historically black college, it was nominally part of the “normal” (education) department of Arkansas Industrial University, later the University of Arkansas.
It was operated separately as part of a compromise to get a college for black students, as the state maintained racial segregation well into the 20th century. (Although the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville was integrated when it opened in 1872, its law school wasn’t integrated until 1948.)
It later was designated as a land-grant college under the 1890 federal amendments to Morrill Land-Grant Acts.
As Congress had originally established the land grant colleges to provide education to all qualified students in a state, in 1890 it required states to maintain segregated systems to establish a separate land-grant university for blacks as well as whites.
In 1927, the school severed its ties with the University of Arkansas and became Arkansas Agricultural, Mechanical & Normal College (Arkansas AM&N). It moved to its current campus location in 1929.
Address: 1200 University Dr, Pine Bluff, AR 71601, United States
Phone: +1 870-575-8000