University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Admission Requirement
The information below applies to the Fall admission cycle.
In order to be eligible for admission, the applicant must complete a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution before starting the DPT program. Applications to the DPT program will only be accepted through the PTCAS website. Note that 24 of the 33 required hours of pre-requisite courses (at least 8 of the prerequisite courses) must be completed by the application deadline. Admission to the program for students who have not completed all prerequisite courses will be conditional pending the completion of all prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better before matriculation. The program has no required – or preferred – undergraduate major. UAMS recognizes that the study and practice of physical therapy are enriched by the presence of students from a variety of academic backgrounds. A demonstrated amount of academic rigor is required, however, to ensure that applicants can succeed with the scholastic demands of the physical therapy curriculum.
Primary Admission Requirements
*All of this information is detailed in the PTCAS website application. All application information to the program should be uploaded to PTCAS by the deadline of October 3at 11:00 pm CST.
- A bachelor’s or higher degree completed prior to matriculation from a regionally accredited institution in the United States is required. Transcripts from institutions outside the United States are not accepted, even after use of an evaluation service.
- 24 of the 33 required hours of prerequisite courses (at least 8 of the prerequisite courses) must be completed by the time of the application submission deadline – October 3.
NOTE: Admissions is aware that due to COVID-19 and the impact on colleges and universities, some students are being issued pass/fail, credit/no credit prerequisite grades. We will accept this grading system for courses taken long as the college or university documents “pass/P or credit/CR” and the credit hours on the transcript.
- All but two prerequisite courses must be completed within 7 years prior to the date of anticipated entry into the program.
- No more than 2 prerequisite courses (6-8 credits) can be from CLEP or AP credit and must be recognized on the granting University official transcript.
- Although accepted, CLEP and AP credits will not be considered in GPA calculations.
- A minimum overall OR last 60 credit hours GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and a minimum prerequisite GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- If the last 60 credit hours GPA is higher than the cumulative GPA, the last 60 Hours GPA will be weighted more heavily.
- If a prerequisite course was repeated, program uses the highest grade earned in prerequisite GPA calculations, but all course grades will remain in the cumulative GPA calculations.
- All transcripts must be verified in PTCAS by November 15.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- The GRE must be completed within five years prior to application to the program.
- Use the Institution Code 2121 for UAMS PTCAS
- Official scores must be received in PTCAS by November 15 for an application to be considered complete.
- Self-reported scores and official scores received by mail will not be considered.
- There is no minimum GRE score required.
- The program will consider the highest GRE score taken in the last five years.
- For those with financial need or who are unemployed, the GRE offers fee reduction vouchers.
NOTE: Admissions is aware that due to COVID-19 the GRE may be taken at your home rather than at a testing center.
- Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, we recognize it may not be possible to obtain observation hours. Therefore, for the PTCAS cycle, we are waiving our observation hour requirements.
- We encourage applicants to upload any hours completed to PTCAS
- In addition, we strongly encourage students – on their own – to research and learn about the variety of different settings and patients that physical therapists work with to gain an understanding of the breadth and diversity of physical therapy practice.
Altus Assessments (CASPer & Snapshot):
- Complete CASPer test by November 16. (note -there are very limited test dates! https://takealtus.com/).
- Applicants will need to register for the CASPer test at https://takealtus.com/ and choose the school code for UAMS Physical Therapy. Check the CASPer website for limited available test dates.
- The cost to take the test for the applicant is $52.
- CASPer is an online test which assesses non-cognitive skills and interpersonal characteristics that we believe are important for successful students and graduates of our program, and will complement the other tools that we use for applicant screening. In implementing CASPer, we are trying to further enhance fairness and objectivity in our selection process.
- Additionally, for this admissions cycle we ask that you complete Altus Snapshot, which is a short video response tool where you will be asked three standardized questions and be given two minutes to respond to each question. You can complete it at any time after reserving your CASPer test date and before November 16.
- Uploaded resume in PTCAS by October 3.
- Two letters of recommendation (documented in PTCAS). Refer to PTCAS or https://healthprofessions.uams.edu/programs/physical-therapy/admission-requirements/ for acceptable evaluators.
- Applicants need to have completed the request for the recommendation in PTCAS by October 3.
- Letters of recommendation need to be completed and uploaded into PTCAS by the person completing the recommendation by November 15.
- All applicants must complete an Online Admissions Application (OAA) to the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Health Professions by October 3 at 11:00pm CST.
- The cost to submit the supplemental application for the applicant is $40.
HOW TO BE A SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT:
- All application information to the program should be uploaded to PTCAS and the application should be submitted by the deadline of October 3 no later than 12 midnight EST.
- The Online Admissions Application (OAA) to the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Health Professions should be completed by the deadline of October 3 at 11:00pm CST.
- We understand it may take time for PTCAS, evaluators, and physical therapists to verify different aspects of your application. Therefore, we recommend that you apply early in order to meet verification deadlines.
All applicant information must be received and verified in PTCAS by November 15.
Incomplete applications WILL NOT be reviewed.
- All transcripts must be verified by PTCAS by this date.
- All official GRE scores must be received in PTCAS by this date.
- All letters of recommendation must be received by this date.
*All required materials should be uploaded to PTCAS. Mailed copies will not be accepted.
*It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure these tasks get completed. If all aspects of the PTCAS application are not received within the deadline, the application will be considered incomplete and therefore, not reviewed.
- Complete the CASPer (Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics) test by November 16.
*** Please see CASPer website for details of the LIMITED dates available to take the test. https://takealtus.com/.