University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

About

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) is a public medical school in Little Rock, Arkansas. It is part of the University of Arkansas System and consists of six colleges including the graduate school, seven institutes, several research centers, a statewide network of community education centers, and the UAMS Medical Center.

In 1879, eight physicians, led by P.O. Hooper of Little Rock, each invested $625 to secure a charter for a medical school from Arkansas Industrial University (which later became the University of Arkansas).[3] They purchased the Sperindio Restaurant and Hotel building on West Second Street in Little Rock for $5,000 to house the school, which opened on Oct. 7, 1879, with 22 students.

In 1880, Dr. Tom Pinson was the first graduate of medical school.

In 1935, the medical school was moved to a new building next to the City Hospital in Little Rock.[4] The six-story, $450,000 structure gave the School of Medicine a boost in clinical instruction of medical students. The hospital’s physicians were members of the school’s teaching faculty. The medical school building now houses the University of Arkansas at Little Rock’s William H. Bowen School of Law; the hospital building was torn down and became the law school’s parking lot.

The next move came in 1950 when a 26-acre (110,000 m2) tract of land on West Markham Street was formally deeded to the university by the Arkansas State Hospital, a state-owned psychiatric hospital. In 1956, the university, then known as the University of Arkansas Medical Center (UAMC), moved to the West Markham campus where it is currently. The university also assumed control of City Hospital, which moved with it; it became known as University Hospital, and more recently UAMS Medical Center.

The education mission of the institution also has grown. In 1951, the School of Pharmacy was established, followed in 1953 by the School of Nursing. In 1970, the School of Health Related Professions was approved by the University of Arkansas System Board of Trustees.

In 1995, the UAMS Graduate School was granted independent status from the Graduate School at the University of Arkansas. In 2003, the College of Public Health opened. In 2005, the College of Public Health was named for the late Dr. Fay W. Boozman, a UAMS graduate who led the Arkansas Department of Health from 1998 until his death in 2005.

In 1975, the names of the schools on campus were changed to colleges and the executive officer’s title became chancellor. In 1980, after being known by several different names through history, the institution’s name changed to the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS).

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Admission Requirement

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Courses Offered

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Tuition and Fees

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Application Deadline

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Online Application