Do you have aspirations to study engineering abroad and you do not know how to go about it? There’s good news for you, you are reading the right article. So many youths all over the world have dreams of studying or completing their studies abroad, especially youths from Africa and the developing world. The interesting thing you can be accepted into US schools for your engineering studies, even with a decent scholarship package.
And what better nation to study engineering than the Golden Nation Itself, the United States of America. There are thousands of fully funded scholarships in the United States targeted at students of engineering disciplines. In this article, we have compiled some of the most prestigious of them which are also readily available every year for interested international students to take advantage of, to study Engineering in the USA.
Studying Engineering in the United States [with Scholarships]
One of the most popular majors in the United States is Engineering. In fact, almost 145,000 students earned degrees in Engineering in the year 2019 in this great nation, and there is expected to be a geometric increase in this figure from year to year, according to the American Society for Engineering Education.
A degree in Engineering awarded in the United States will do you a lot of good. First of all, as a graduate engineer from a US school, you stand a better chance to land high-paying jobs than your counterparts. Secondly, you and the Nation are more likely to be placed at the forefront of technological innovation.
Since this is a good reputation for the US nation, many scholarships have been set up by both the Federal Government and private institutions to encourage students from all over the world to get this amazing opportunity of studying Engineering in the United State.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
Can International Students Get Full Scholarships in The United States?
Yes, they can. In fact, there are a lot of Universities in the United States that offer full scholarships covering tuition fees and a whole lot of other costs like textbooks, airfare, a living stipend, and even health insurance. In fact, some of them will be listed in this article.
How Do I Qualify for Getting an Engineering Scholarship in The United States?
There are no general eligibility criteria for getting a scholarship in the United States. The Eligibility requirements or criteria depend solely on the awarding body and the scholarship in question. There is one thing that we can say though, most Universities offer scholarships based on academic excellence. Some might be based on financial needs and other considerations as well.
What Are the Common Documents Required for Scholarships in the United States?
Applying for a scholarship abroad requires a lot of care, responsibility, and accuracy. As stated earlier in this article, scholarships abroad are mostly offered to students with incredible academic abilities. There may be other specifications and varieties amongst the different types of scholarships in the United States, but the documents listed below are most commonly requested in scholarship applications.
- A completed Application form.
- A copy of your passport
- Copies of transcripts/diplomas
- Statement of Purpose/Letter of motivation
- Letter of recommendation (1 or 2)
- CV (Curriculum Vitae)/Resume
- Standardized test scores or a valid waiver
- A medical report or health evaluation form
- Financial statement of parents/sponsor
Whichever documents are requested by the institution must be arranged in an orderly manner and the application form must be completely filled out.
How To Get Scholarships to Study Engineering in The United States
Before we take a look at the top 10 Engineering Scholarships in the United States, we must show you the right way to apply to avoid a failed application process. The below 7 tips will help you get a scholarship quickly to support your study of engineering in the United States.
- Know where to Look. Right here, we will list out the top ten engineering scholarships you can apply for in the United States. It’s best practice to always view additional instructions on the website of the awarding body to know their requirements, qualifications, and every other important detail as regards the scholarship.
- Prepare in Advance. You may be required to take certain tests and interviews. Know what it will take to pass these tests and interviews. Make sure that your research process is properly done. Read the various materials, publications, textbooks, and past questions in preparation for scholarship exams.
- Keep your Motivation and Work very Hard. Although some of the full scholarships offered by universities and organizations in the United States to international students will be based on financial needs but amongst the large number of people applying, the most deserving will be considered for these scholarships.
- Make yourself Stand out from other Applicants. If you really desire any of these scholarships, then you must show it in your application. You must involve yourself in some extracurricular activities to show how committed you are both in and outside the classroom. You can also include the various times you contributed to the growth of your community.
- Read the Instructions Carefully. One of the things which easily gets applicants disqualified is not following the application instructions. You must learn to read through and obey every rule accurately.
- Submit an Excellent Scholarship Essay or Cover Letter. Make sure that your essay is written up to the best standard expressing your values and reasons for applying.
- Get your Documents All Ready. Make sure the documents are complete and well organized.
If you get these 7 right, then you should not be far from winning your first scholarship to study abroad.
List of Top Engineering Scholarships in the USA for International Students
Below are some of the best undergraduate and graduate engineering scholarships that are available for helping aspiring engineers to design and develop new innovations in the United States of America.
1.) Knight Hennessy Scholars Program
Every year, at Stanford up to 100 high achieving students from around the world are given opportunities to pursue any graduate degree including DMA, JD, MA, MBA, MD, MFA, MS, Ph.D. programs, and joint and dual degrees. Here, scholars receive a fellowship for up to three years of tuition, depending on the length of their degrees. In addition, they will also receive a stipend for living and academic expenses and a travel stipend for one trip per year to and from Stanford.
2.) Fulbright Foreign Student Program
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program awards about 4000 Scholarships every year to deserving Foreign students from across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Europe and Eurasia, and the Americas to study in the USA. Students in any discipline, including engineering disciplines, can apply for this fully funded opportunity to aid their study dreams in the United States.
This scholarship program hosted by the American Nuclear Society is for both U.S and non- U. S residents. This scholarship is open to graduating high school seniors who have enrolled, in full-time college courses and are pursuing science, technology, engineering, or mathematics with an interest to work in the nuclear science and technology field. The prize given to the beneficiaries of this scholarship ranges from $1000 to $5000.
This scholarship program is for chemical engineering undergraduate students both incoming and seniors who are planning their careers in chemical engineering This program is meant for only students attending ABET accredited schools in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. This scholarship will grant its recipients a certificate and $5000.
This scholarship is for intending students of the University of Oregon in the United States. The ICSP tuition waiver scholarship is open to residents of the United States and non-US citizens. The terms of this program include both partial and full tuition for up to 15 credits per term every year.
This program is for both South American and international students that are pursuing a program of study that is related to cost engineering or cost management. To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must have completed at least one year of college and must be currently enrolled as full-time students at an accredited university. The recipients of this scholarship are given $2500.
The Western Union foundation offers a global scholarship for post-secondary Education every year. This program is open to international students that are pursuing an undergraduate degree in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, or business entrepreneurship. Each recipient of this scholarship is given up to $2500.
The George Washington University Global Leaders Fellowship program is available for students pursuing graduate (master’s and doctoral) degree programs. Both students are holding or intending to apply for an F-1 visa. The major provisions for this scholarship are funds for books, living, and other expenses.
These fully funded scholarships are offered each year in the following fields, computer engineering, computer science, or any related technical discipline like electrical engineering, human-computer interaction, math, physics, or management information systems. Any full-time student who is enrolled in an accredited degree program at any college, university, or high school can apply for this scholarship. To jump-start or further their careers, students all over the world attend the GHC.
10.) The Science Ambassador Scholarship for International Students
The Science Ambassador Scholarship is open to women in science, technology, engineering, or math study in the United States of America. The scholarship covers the full tuition expenses of successful applicants for the period of four years of their study.
These are not the only Engineering scholarships in the United States, there are a lot of them there to discover. We will always update you with more of these trending scholarship opportunities.